Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Unequal Childhoods

Looking at it from the parents perspective, maybe it's unqual parenting. In Chapter 5 of Lareau's Unequal Childhoods, it is obvoius that Kate Brindle's mother wishes she could provide more for her children. There are many points int the chapter that show Ms. Brindle has the best intentions for her children. She wishes that "food was free". I pondered on this idea for a while, in America there is a push for a universal or socialized health care system, but not for food. I have heard the arguement that health care is a basic human right, well what about food? Do we not have an obligation to feed our fellow citizens. I personally get sticker shock when buying cereal, milk, or eggs. I couldn't imagin having a child right now, even with government assistance, the poor can't afford a $4.39 box of cereal. If a child is hungry, they can't concentrate and will not be as productive in school or anywhere else. Our country is keeping the poor down. There seems to be an idea that if you were lucky enough to be born to a middle-class or rich family, you are entilted to everything, including food and health care, while the others, who aren't so lucky, should go without. Until we can adiquately feed our country, there will always be unqual childhoods. Parents can't be expected to carry such a burden. To put food ont he table, parent's are forced to work longer hours, which may put food in their childrens stomachs, but then child care is needed and there is alot less parent-child interaction and bonding which is also imperative to foster a loving home. I don't know if there is really an answer to all these problems today, accept to be fully prepared for any child you bring into this world, understand that the government can only go so far, and that "good" parenting is making the best of what is had.

1 comment:

Dr. Mad Scientist said...

Oh, this post made me think of a lot of things. First off, I do think there are differences in parental expectations based on class. My oldest sister was a suburban mom straight out of the textbook. All four of her kids had multiple activities and her schedule was completely suborned by her kids'. But in the area they lived, she would have been considered a bad mother by her neighbors if her kids didn't do all those activities, because "everybody" else in her neighborhood did. I think pressure to conform to societies expectations plays a big role in parenting, especially in the suburbs.

And, as you hinted at, there are programs in place for universal food. Food stamps, WIC, etc. Now these systems are far from perfect, but a lot of the issues with them are due to budget constraints and the safeguards that try to prevent abuses of the system. Give me an hour and I can find a store that'll give you cash for your food stamps. Typically at 50% face value (but they cash them in with the government at full price of course). Then that cash can be used for anything, frequently booze, drugs, gambling etc. I know, I've met people who have done this, and screw the fact that their kids are hungry.

I think abuses like that are exceptions to the rule, but those exceptions lead to "safeguards" that end up hurting the majority of people who play by the rules.

Finally, I'm sick of people complaining about the cost of food. Okay, I'm not in the poverty category, but my family isn't rich either. Food is our third or fourth biggest expense (behind rent, childcare and transportation costs). But a lot of people bitching about food costs (whom my wife and I consider peers), when you dig a little deeper, A) spend $50 a week at Starbucks/$100 a week at McDonald's, B) buy brand name everything and C)pay no mind to sales/coupons.

My family spends a third of what similar families we know spend on food. Because A) fast food is a major luxury for us B) we compare prices and buy generic store brand products when they're cheaper and C) stock up when things are on sale, watch for sales and clip coupons.

It all adds up very quickly.

I apologize for the rant, but for some reason this post really hit a nerve with me. :-)