Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Learning about Newark



I had to post this....and this... you know what.. everything at the Newark Metro site is so well written and thought provoking ... all from Rutgers Students who live in Newark. Read as much as you can... some are harder to swallow than others, but get familar with the voices of Newark students. I have lived in many cities, and they each have their story, positive and negative, and no place is alike. I want to be a great teacher and really relate to my students. I feel the best way is to listen to their stories. I have my own, but they are mine and particular to the places I have lived. Every city has its own unique story and I want to know Newark (Nork) City. My husband is from Newark and has always had such pride for "Brick City" (he writes this all the time when he scribbles). Since I am from the city and know urban life, my goal out of all this urban discussion is to really get to know Newark. I am learning so much from my discussions with my husband, I can get to know his struggle and why he chose the path he did, and he treats it as a lesson for me, rather than a confession from him. I am filled with a desire to know more and more about Newark and feel closer to him and hope that this will allow me to relate his struggles to my students. As I read these essays and discuss childhood with my husband I learn about Newark(the good and the bad) and I am intrigued. I am looking forward to becoming a teacher and I hope that those who read my posts are not getting scared, just informed.

No comments: